serving orphans and destitute children with Children of the Nations in Sierra Leone, Malawi, Uganda, Haiti and the Dominican Republic
May 2009 Update - EXCITING NEWS
Greetings from the COTN National Office in Silverdale,
Good news is becoming lost in the current world economy woes. We want to assure you that God has a purpose and a plan for the whole world. We share with visitors to our offices that we are in an “anti-recession”—increased involvement of donors, volunteers, ministry partners—and that good news arrives every day from all of our countries.
Here are some highlights:
• Julius “Pastor” Amara arrived at COTN–SL Banta malnourishment clinic last summer in the dreadfully swollen, listless and blistered condition of protein deficiency. After two weeks of care and a high-protein diet, little Julius started to come back to life.
• We loaded and shipped five 40-foot containers of supplies and food to Malawi in March. Thousands of children will receive school supplies, clothing and improved health through these donations. Many of you provided items to be packed, including over 500,000 meals created in the past year. The Lopez High School food is in there, too!
• The Lord has provided an 8% increase in total donations the first quarter of 2009 as compared to the first quarter of 2008. More children are being sponsored, many teams are traveling overseas and summer interns are beginning to raise support for their time of service overseas.
• We have seen direct answers to prayer over the last few months as more volunteers are involved in Finance with Renee and Facilities with Dave, and we have added two more monthly ministry partners!
Your partnership of prayer and financial support is critical—without it we cannot continue to serve in our support roles at COTN. We have only 35 USA staff giving support to over 300 overseas staff who serve over 10,000 children. Everything we accomplish each day blesses thousands around the world. It is humbling to be a part of God’s transforming work. It is crucial that we serve here so many others can continue to serve in their communities.
Prayer Requests for Dave & Reneé
• Pray that our monthly support could be fully met by the end of 2009. We are asking God to provide an additional $2,850 per month so our ministry with COTN is 100% funded. We are currently at 68% of our monthly support goal.
• Pray for 95 new contacts to donate $30 monthly toward our ministry support.
• Pray for continued good physical and mental health and energy as we serve each day in the COTN office.
• The construction team to Sierra Leone has been postponed to Fall 2009. The team will install electrical and water systems to our Banta Village orphan homes, school, and feeding center. Pray for a potential grant from Alaska Airlines for the team’s airline tickets. This would significantly lower the trip costs.
• Pray for increased funding to meet all operating needs in every country.
• Pray for Renee’s wisdom to accurately record, report and communicate financial information that is useful for decision making.
• Pray for a smooth audit for 2008 and for all country audits to be completed and submitted by June 1st.
• Pray for clear thinking as we develop the strategic plans for our departments.
Thank you for your ongoing prayers, support and encouragement.
For the children,
Dave & Reneé